It’s no secret that the mobile market is growing, with sales of smartphones and tablets on the rise, it means that more and more people are interacting with apps, as well as the mobile web. Like it or not, this means that all organisations need to start shifting their traditional views of marketing toward digital.
Over the past year, the app market has exploded. Overloaded with choice, now people want their apps to be truly useful – because if they aren’t, there are plenty of other apps on the market that are. The answer is to move away from making apps-for-apps-sake, and start finding ways to add real value to your customers, and make their lives a little easier.
More Android apps are being downloaded than ever, and are now almost matching figures from the iOS platform (including iPhone), but still the debate over whether to prioritise iOS or Android continues. It’s partly due to the differences between iPhone and Android customers, but there are also other considerations to make in terms of development time, device capabilities and user experience. We’ll look at some of the reasons why it’s still not that easy to make apps that cross both platforms successfully.
The markets for tablets are increasing in the same way that smart phones did. We’re now seeing more and more tablets at lower price points, and an increasing attitude that tablet sales will overtake desktop & laptop computers in the next year or so. This signals the need for businesses and organisations to start taking tablets more seriously, but the costs of developing for both platforms can be intimidating. So we pose the question, do you really need an app for iPhone and iPad?
The mobile analytics firm Flurry, recently reported that apps are beating the mobile web for user’s attention hands-down. Flurry’s statistics of over one billion smartphone devices in the USA show that users spend 80% of their time in apps, with the remaining 20% being used to browse the web. So, are apps better than the mobile web?
To get the most out of your app developers, you’ll need to know what you want your app to do for your organisation. Mostly, this will come from your current business needs, but here are a few things to consider when you want to take your brand onto the app market
Making a great app isn’t easy, so having a checklist of what works will help you head in the right direction. We think that great apps are made up of three key factors: they should be Relevant, Compelling and Timely.
Last year, there was a lot of hype about organisations increasing their marketing budgets in 2013, and with increasing sales of mobile devices and apps in December 2012, mobile marketing is going to be a key part of this. But what should you be spending your mobile marketing budget on exactly?
When you’re considering an app for your organisation, at some point you’ll have to decide whether to publish your app for iPhone, Android, or both. But what does that decision actually mean for you & your customers? On one level, you’re making a decision about how much of the potential market you want to target, but you’re also making a decision about what kinds of potential customer you’re targeting too.
Getting people interested and involved in public spaces, historic buildings and other open spaces can provide great opportunities for any business or organisation, but the cost, upkeep and management of campaigns can be off-putting. However, in our experience working with clients like the Tower of London and Tooting Common, we’ve found that a great long-term solution, is by creating an app.